Black Himalayan Salt / Kala namak, 1.3kg bag
Black Himalayan Salt, also called Kala Namak, is Pink Himalayan Salt mixed with charcoal, herbs, bark, and seeds and then fired in a furnace for 24 hours, which gives it a reddish-brown colour.
During the process, the salt becomes more flavoursome, and tastes of the spices and herbs added to it and smells like hard-boiled eggs. Therefore, it is a popular salt to add to "egg-flavoured" vegan dishes, for example scrambled tofu or vegan egg fried rice.
Benefits of black Himalayan salt / Kala Namak include its rich potassium content which helps in relaxing muscles and reducing muscle cramps. Potassium also helps in improving the absorption of many other minerals. Black Himalayan salt has comparatively less sodium content.
This salt is suitable for cooking and bathing.
Fun Facts about Black Himalayan Salt / Kala Namak
- Black Himalayan salt is a popular ingredient in Indian cuisine
- The use of black Himalayan salt / kala namak was first documented in Ayurveda, a traditional and holistic approach to health
- Despite its name, black himalayan black salt is actually pinkish-brown in color
RECIPE: Simple Tofu Scramble With Kala Namak Salt
- 230 g firm tofu
- 1/4 tsp Kala Namak salt
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Chop the tofu and use a fork to crumble it into bite-sized pieces.
- Add some oil to a frying pan and when it’s hot, add the tofu and all the remaining ingredients (kala namak salt, turmeric powder and ground black pepper). Stir until well combined and cook over medium-high heat for 5 to 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Serve immediately, for example over some toasted bread and topped with fresh parsley.
The recipe was found on simpleveganblog.com
RECIPE: Spicy Fruit Chaat / Indian Fruit Salad with Kala Namak
For the fruit:
- 2 medium sized ripe peaches
- 4 plums
- 2 kiwis
- 2 granny smith apples
- 1 medium sized grapefruit
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (2 limes)
- 1 teaspoon black Himalayan salt / kala namak
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons raw cane sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon red cayenne pepper (or to taste), plus more for dusting
- Peel the peaches and cut into chunks and place in a large mixing bowl. Cut the plums and add to the bowl.
- Peel the kiwis and add to the bowl. Core and add the apples and finally peel and section the grapefruit and add to the bowl. Add in the mint leaves and the almonds and mix lightly.
- In a small bowl, add in the lime juice, salt, sugar, black Himalayan salt / kala namak and cayenne pepper and mix well. Add the dressing to the fruit and toss lightly, chill this for at least 30 minutes before serving.
RECIPE: Scrambled Tofu Avocado With Black Himalayan Salt / Kala Namak
- 1 large avocado
- 6 ounces firm tofu
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric (or 1 teaspoon freshly grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon black Himalayan salt / Kala Namak
- Sauté the onion and pepper in water until soft.
- Add the kala namak / black Himalayan salt and the remaining filling ingredients, breaking up the tofu with your hands.
- Stir well to combine and heat through, then set aside.
- Slice the avocado in half and remove the pit, then top each half with the scrambled tofu and serve.
The recipes were found on www.onegreenplanet.org.
We hope you love these Kala Namak / Black Himalayan Salt recipes above. If you also love Kala Namak and would like to share your recipes, please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org.