Brown Jasmine Rice, 2 x 1.3 kg bag
Brown jasmine rice has only had its outer husk removed, not the bran and the germ, which ensures that fibre and other wholesome nutrients remain in the rice. As a result, the brown rice is higher in fibre which supports digestion and helps with constipation. It is packed with minerals, and has a lower glycemic index - great for a slow release of energy and to maintain your blood sugar levels.
After cooking, the Brown Jasmine Rice becomes fragrant, slightly nutty, and the texture is soft and has a slight "bite" to it which makes it a delicious choice.
Brown Jasmine Rice can be used the same way as white jasmine rice, for example in stir fries, curries, fried rice, sushi, or as a side dish.
Origin: Thailand / Cambodia
Weight: 2 x 1.3 kg bag, about 10 servings each
Fun Facts about Brown Jasmine Rice
- Brown jasmine rice is shorter and stickier than brown Basmati rice
- Brown jasmine rice is high in insoluble fiber which can help speed up the digestive tract movements
- A single serving of brown jasmine rice provides 7% of the NRV of iron and 17% of NRV of magnesium
HOW TO BOIL BROWN JASMINE RICE
- Wash brown jasmine rice until the water runs clear.
- Add 1 cup of rice with 1 1/4 cups of water. Bring to boil, then reduce the heat to low.
- Cover and cook for c.14 minutes until the water is absorbed and the brown jasmine rice is soft.
RECIPE: Fried Brown Jasmine Rice With Vegetables
A simple and easy recipe which is wholesome with nutritious ingredients and better than a take away.
- 1 cup boiled brown jasmine rice
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp black himalayan salt / kala namak (for the egg flavour)
- chopped garlic
- 4 cups diced vegetables, for example cucumbers, carrots, peas, peppers
- Add sesame oil into pan and throw in the garlic.
- Once the oil is hot, add diced vegetables and cook a few minutes until softens.
- Now add the soy cause, black himalayan salt and mix well.
- Add boiled brown rice and mix will with vegetables.
- Serve and enjoy!
RECIPE: Brown Jasmine Rice Soup With Canellini and Rosemary
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Italian herb blend
- 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 can diced tomatoes undrained
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2/3 cup brown jasmine rice
- 2 cans low-sodium cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup black olives pitted and chopped
- 9-10 ounces baby spinach leaves or coarsely chopped spinach
- 1 large roasted red bell pepper (bottled is fine) seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 teaspoons fresh rosemary chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Stir in onion; cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in garlic, Italian herbs, and crushed red pepper; cook for 30 seconds or more. Stir in vinegar and cook until it evaporates, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes (with liquid), water, and rice. Bring to boil over high heat. Cover and cook over medium heat for 30-40 minutes.
- Stir in beans and olives. Cover and cook until the brown jasmine rice is tender, 2 minutes or more.
- Stir in spinach, red bell pepper, and salt to taste. Cook over medium heat, uncovered, until spinach is tender, about 1 minute.
- Turn off heat. Stir in black pepper and rosemary to taste.
Recipe inspired by www.deliciousliving.com
RECIPE: Brown Jasmine Rice Chana Pulao With Instant Pot
- 1.5 tablespoons oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2-3 cloves
- 3-4 green cardamom
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1-2 green chilies, sliced, adjust to taste
- 2 teaspoons ginger garlic paste
- 1.25 cups water
- 1 cup brown jasmine rice, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup raw chickpeas, soaked overnight, or use 1.25 cups canned chickpeas
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 3/4 teaspoon himalayan salt, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- juice of half a lemon
- Rinse the brown jasmine rice and drain the water using a colander. Set it aside. Also make sure your chickpeas are soaked overnight or for 4 hours at least.
- Press the saute button on the instant pot. Once it displays hot, add the oil and then add the whole spices - bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cloves, green cardamom and cumin seeds. Saute for few seconds until the spices sizzle.
- Then add the sliced onion and green chili. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes until the onions are soft.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and saute for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Then add the water and deglaze the pot. Scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spatula, removing all brown bits from the bottom.
- Add the rinsed and drained brown rice, soaked chickpeas, smoked paprika, garam masala and salt. Stir to combine, rice should be submerged under water.
- Close the pot with its lid. Press the manual or pressure cook button and cook on high pressure for 22 minutes, with the pressure valve in the sealing position. Let the pressure release naturally.
- Open the pot and fluff the pulao with a fork. Add chopped cilantro and juice of half lemon.
- Serve brown rice chana pulao with coconut yogurt on the side.
Recipe inspired by www.cookwithmanali.com
We hope you love these Brown Jasmine Rice recipes above. If you also love brown jasmine rice and would like to share your recipes, please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org.