Black Rice, 2 x 1 kg bag
Black rice is known for its nutty flavour and ample health benefits. It is packed with antioxidants, especially anthocyanin which is also found in blueberries and other dark-coloured produce.
In ancient times, black rice was called the "forbidden rice" as it was reserved only for the royals and wealthy. Luckily, nowadays, we all have the privilege to enjoy this delicious black rice.
Weight: 2 x 1 kg
HOW TO BOIL BLACK RICE
- Wash black rice until the water runs clear.
- Add 1 cup of rice with 1 1/4 cups of water. Bring to boil, then reduce the heat to low.
- Cover and cook for c.14 minutes until the water is absorbed and the black rice is soft.
RECIPE: Black Rice With Fennel And Butternut Squash
- 125g black rice
- Salt and black pepper
- ½ small butternut squash (500g), peeled, seeds discarded and cut into 1cm thick half-moons
- 2 fennel bulbs (600g), trimmed and cut into 1cm slices
- 2 red chillies, 1 left whole and 1 thinly sliced (deseeded if you don’t like heat)
- 1½ tsp fennel seeds, crushed
- 75ml olive oil
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 small garlic bulb, top trimmed to expose the cloves
- 2 banana shallots (100g), skin on, tops trimmed to expose the flesh
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 5g dill, finely chopped
- 5g chives, finely chopped
- Heat the oven to 220C (200C fan)/425F gas. Put the black rice in a medium saucepan with plenty of water, put on a medium heat, bring black rice to a boil and cook for 35 minutes, then add a quarter-teaspoon of salt. Continue to cook black rice for five minutes, until cooked but with a slight bite, then drain very well and transfer to a large bowl.
- As the black rice cooks, put the butternut squash, fennel, the whole chilli and fennel seeds in a large, 40 x 30cm tray lined with baking paper, and add two tablespoons of oil, two and a half tablespoons of maple syrup, a teaspoon of salt and a generous grind of black pepper. Mix well, then spread out as much as possible. Drizzle a little oil over the garlic bulb and shallots, wrap individually in foil and put in the corners of the tray. Roast for about 40 minutes, until the vegetables are golden brown.
- Transfer half the fennel and squash to the rice bowl, reserving the rest to top the black rice with.
- Once cool enough to handle, discard the foil and squeeze the shallots and garlic into the small bowl of a food processor, discarding the papery skins. Add a tablespoon of oil, the remaining half-tablespoon of maple syrup, half the lemon juice and a quarter-teaspoon of salt, and blitz to a smooth paste, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the paste to the rice and veg mixture and gently combine, then transfer to a large serving plate.
- Top with the remaining roasted vegetables. Mix the herbs with the sliced chilli, the remaining lemon juice, the remaining two tablespoons of oil and an eighth of a teaspoon of salt. Stir together, spoon over the vegetables and serve.
This black rice recipe was seen on https://www.theguardian.com
We hope you love these Black Rice recipes above. If you also love Black Rice and would like to share your recipes, please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org.