Shortgrain Sticky Rice, 1 kg bag
Sticky rice is also known as glutinous rice or sweet rice. Sticky rice is a versatile ingredient used in many types of Asian cooking, and works well for both savoury dishes as well as sweet desserts. As the name suggests, this type of rice is stickier and more chewy than the longer grain rice. Usually, the shorter the grains, the stickier the rice when cooked.
Weight: 1 kg
HOW TO BOIL STICKY RICE
- Add 1 cup of rice with 1 1/4 cups of water. Bring to boil, then reduce the heat to low.
- Cover and cook for c.14 minutes until the water is absorbed and the sticky rice is soft.
- Some people believe that it is better when steamed. See recipe below for instructions.
- Note: The sticky rice can be really sticky, hence wet the serving tools and your hands when handling cooked sticky rice.
- Also, it is best to serve the sticky rice hot, since it hardens when cold.
RECIPE - Sticky Rice & Mango
- 300g sticky rice
- 250ml coconut milk
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2-3 ripe mangoes
- 2-4 tbsp coconut cream
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Soak the sticky rice in cold water for at least 3 hours, or overnight. Drain and rinse thoroughly. Line a steamer with double thickness muslin or a J-cloth (single thickness) and place the rice on top. Bring the water in the steamer to the boil and steam the rice over moderate heat for 30 minutes, turning halfway. Put in a bowl and set aside.
- Combine the coconut milk and coconut sugar in a small pan and heat gently, stirring all the time, until the sugar has dissolved. Do not boil. Stir in the salt and pour over the cooked rice, stirring gently; set aside to cool.
- Peel the mangoes and cut off the two outer cheeks of each fruit, as close to the stones as possible. Discard the stones. Slice each piece of fruit into thin lengthways slices.
- Put a mound of rice on a dish lined with a leaf and nestle the mango next to it. Pour the coconut cream over and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
The recipe was seen on www.bbcgoodfood.com
We hope you love these Sticky Rice recipes above. If you also love Sticky Rice and would like to share your recipes, please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org.