Premium-grade Parboiled Basmati Rice (Parboiled Rice), 1.3kg bag
Parboiled basmati rice has been partially boiled (parboiled) while still in its husk, giving its golden colour, and then milled. The process of parboiling drives nutrients, especially thiamine (B1), from the bran into the grain, making it more nutritious than white rice. They absorb flavours of the dishes well, and remain fluffy, firm and non-sticky after cooking.
Weight: 1.3 kg, about 10 servings
Fun Facts about Golden Parboiled Basmati Rice
- Parboiling reduces the stickiness of rice so it yields fluffy and separate kernels once cooked and limits clumping
- Parboiling rice creates resistant starch which encourages growth of beneficial bacteria in the intestines
- The increase in blood sugar was 35% less when people with type 2 diabetes ate parboiled rice compared to regular white rice
How to Cook Parboiled Basmati Rice
- Cook parboiled rice slightly longer than normal long grain basmati rice.
- Wash rice until the water runs clear. Add 1 cup of rice with 1 1/4 cups of water.
- Bring to boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for c.20 minutes until the water is absorbed.
RECIPE: Vegetable biryani with Parboiled Basmati Rice
- 400g/14oz parboiled basmati rice
- 2 tbsp grated fresh root ginger
- 2 tbsp grated garlic
- 2 green chillies, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- 200g/7oz Greek-style yoghurt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 50g/1¾oz fresh coriander, finely chopped, plus extra to garnish
- 20g/¾oz fresh mint leaves, finely chopped, plus extra to garnish
- 300g/10½oz sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 15mm cubes
- 200g/7oz cooked beetroot, cut into 15mm cubes
- 200g/7oz green beans, cut into 2cm/¾in lengths
- 200g/7oz peas, thawed if frozen
- 1 tsp crushed cardamom seeds
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 200g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 tbsp double cream, warmed
- large pinch saffron
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 onions, thinly sliced and dried on kitchen paper
- vegetable oil, for frying
- dried rose petals
- Rinse the parboiled basmati rice in cold water until it runs clear, then soak in water for 25–30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the ginger, garlic, chillies and dry spices with the yoghurt, lemon juice, coriander and mint and season well. Blend in a food processor until fairly smooth, then mix with the vegetables and leave to marinate.
- Drain the parboiled rice and cook in a saucepan of boiling salted water with the cardamom, cumin and bay leaf for 6–8 minutes, or until al dente. Drain well and mix with the chickpeas.
- Preheat the oven to 200C /180C Fan/Gas 6.
- Mix together the melted butter, cream and saffron in a small bowl.
- Put a lidded flameproof casserole dish over a medium–low heat. Tip in the vegetables and their marinade (if the yoghurt is very thick, add a splash of water) and cook for 6–8 minutes, or until starting to soften. Season well. Spoon the rice evenly over the top and pour over the saffron mixture. Cover tightly and bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fill a deep pan a third full of oil and heat until bubbles form around a chopstick dipped into it. (CAUTION: hot oil can be dangerous. Do not leave unattended.) Fry the onions in batches until golden and crisp. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve the biryani with the crispy onions and scatter over the dried rose petals, coriander and mint.
RECIPE: Tofu Vegan Curry With Parboiled Rice
For the marinade
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely grated
- 2½cm /1in fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garam masala
For the tofu
- 280g/10oz firm tofu, cut into 3cm/1¼in cubes
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 80g/3oz vegan ‘butter’
- For the ‘butter’ sauce
- drizzle olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed or grated
- 2½cm/1in fresh ginger, grated
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp paprika
- 500ml/18fl oz passata
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 4 green cardamom pods, crushed
- salt, to taste
For the rice
- 180g/6oz parboiled rice, rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- coconut yoghurt
- fresh naan bread or poppadums and chutney
- For the marinade, mix the marinade ingredients together and gently stir in the tofu cubes. Set aside for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- To make the ‘butter’ sauce, heat the oil in a pan and fry the garlic for one minute. Add the remaining ingredients, 125ml/4fl oz water and season to taste with salt. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the rice, put the parboiled rice and bay leaf into a saucepan with 450ml/16fl oz water and a generous pinch of salt. Bring to the boil for 2–3 minutes. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer gently for a further 12 minutes, or until all the water has been absorbed and the rice is fluffy.
- Fry the marinated tofu with the red onion and the vegan ‘butter’ over a medium-high heat for 12-15 minutes, turning regularly until brown on all sides. Tip the tofu into the ‘butter’ sauce.
- Drain the rice and serve alongside the tofu, removing the bay leaves and cardamom pods from the sauce before serving. Garnish with fresh coriander, and serve with a dollop of coconut yoghurt, naan or poppadoms and chutney.
Recipes from www.bbc.co.uk
We hope you love these Parboiled Rice recipes above. If you also love Parboiled Rice and would like to share your recipes, please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org.