Red Dates Recipes For New Mothers
These simple but nutritious recipes using the red dates / jujube fruit help aid recovery for new moms who recently gave birth. They are a fixture on the "confinement period menu" for new moms in the Far East.
However, they are also suitable for anyone who would like to simply pamper themselves a little.
Recipe 1: Red Date Tea
- 8 dried red dates / jujube fruit (find red dates here)
- 3 slices of fresh ginger
- 400 ml of water
- Put red dates / jujube and fresh ginger into a small sauce pan and boil on a very low heat for two hours.
- Drink hot (but let it cool down a little first)
Recipe 2: Sweet Potato And Red Date Soup
- 500 gr sweet potatoes
- 50 gr fresh ginger
- 5 cups of water
- 10 red dates / jujube fruit (find red dates here)
- 15 dried longan
- Optional: 2 tbsp brown sugar
- Peel, wash and cut the sweet potatoes into cubes. Peel ginger and cut into thick slices.
- Boil the sweet potato, ginger, red dates, logan and simmer for at least 30 minutes until the sweet potatoes are soft. Add brown sugar if you prefer.
- Enjoy hot.
You can find lovely red dates / jujube fruits here, or send a care parcel to a friend who recently gave birth. To learn more about the Asian post-natal confinement practices, you can read our blog post here.
Leave a comment