Recipe: Vegan Egg Fried Rice - GF, Vegan
This vegan egg fried rice looks and tastes like actual eggs fried rice. You won't be able to tell it is vegan!
Recipe: Vegan Egg Fried Rice
- 1 cup of cooked rice (We used Thai Jasmine rice. You can also use Basmati rice for a drier / less sticky rice; or the brown Jasmine rice for a more wholesome version.)
- 2 tbsp olive oil or 4 tbsp vegetable broth/water
- 1 block firm tofu
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- Thumb sized piece of ginger (optional)
- 1 ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 ½ tsp black salt ‘kala namak’ (this "egg-flavoured" salt is essential to achieve the egg-y taste)
- 1 ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (optional)
Mixed veg (you can use whatever you have) we used:
- 2 tomatoes cubed
- Half broccoli cut into small florets
- ½ tin sweetcorn
- ½ tin baby carrots (or finely chopped regular carrots)
- ½ cup black eyed peas, soak overnight or for 12 hours ideally
- Fry the onion, garlic cloves and ginger in either the oil or vegetable broth (water also works fine) for 5 minutes until soft
- While this is cooking, chop your block of firm tofu into squares and then mash with either a potato masher or a fork until it resembles scramble!
- Add this to the pan, along with the turmeric, garlic powder, black salt, sea salt and black pepper (add more oil/broth if it has dried)
- Cook for 6-7 minutes until soft
- Add in the mixed veg - stir and cook for 5-6 minutes
- While this is cooking slowly add in the cooked rice
- Taste and add in an extra tsp of each of the seasonings if required
- Once it is all combined, it is ready to enjoy!
Find the Kala Namak (egg-flavoured salt), rice, and black-eyed peas on our online shop here.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.